Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Teachers gone bad aka using children as political pawns.

The hat tip goes to Education Matters. There are a lot of links in the post, to view the complete post in the Education matters BLOG click here.

I received a couple of phone calls this afternoon about the Teachers wearing buttons today in school. The buttons supposedly said, “Working without a contract.” I have not seen one yet, but both callers confirmed this. They also stated the teachers were telling the children who asked about them, to tell their parents to call the School Board. The word “strike” was used in the explanation to one of the children.

I have made a few phone calls tonight and sent a few emails. It is now my understanding the teachers are not to wear the buttons to school again.

When I heard about the buttons, the first thing I thought of was that the teachers union was using the children as pawns to get what they want. That is not the way you claim to be helping the kids. That is called blackmail.

Children should not be pawns in your power play. The children are innocent bystanders, but they will be the ones getting hurt if the teachers decide to strike. From what I can gather, the teachers are to meet next Tuesday and will vote to strike if the contract is not resolved. If that is true they must file with the ISBE giving 10 days notice. That makes the potential strike date Feb. 14th. If you think I am way off base, check out this comment pulled from d46.info:

No comments: