Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Four residents apply for Dist. 158 board

The following article appeared in the Daily Herald. The following is great, we can see how the new superintendent wants to be open and honest with the public, "Superintendent John Burkey said he couldn’t provide the names of candidates because the school board didn’t want to release the information." Anyone want to place bets that Henderson is appointed to the school board? The board, teachers' union, administration and BEST would not dare let the most qualified person Tony Quagliano be appointed to the board.


Four residents apply for Dist. 158 board
By Jeffrey Gaunt
Daily Herald Staff Writer
Posted Tuesday, August 01, 2006


Four candidates are vying for the open seat on the Huntley District 158 school board, district officials said on Monday’s deadline for applications.

Superintendent John Burkey said he couldn’t provide the names of candidates because the school board didn’t want to release the information.

But residents Mike Andre, Roger Henderson, Derek Martin and Tony Quagliano said they all submitted applications.

“I think my knowledge is very strong about what has happened and what will happen in the district,” said Andre, adding that he attends most board and committee meetings.

Andre said he hopes to improve the board’s communication with the public.

“I’m pretty good at taking complicated information and making it simple and easy to digest for everybody,” he said.

Like Andre, Henderson said he’s been active in the district.

“I’ve followed the district basically ever since I’ve been here,” Henderson said. “I’m a parent. I’m a coach in the district.

“I’m a very hardworking individual who’s very dedicated to both the community and the school district,” he said.

Martin is taking another stab at a spot on the school board.

He was appointed to the school board in 2004 to replace former President Gary Slagle, but lost an election bid in 2005.

“There are a lot of challenges facing District 158 with the continued growth of the district,” Martin said. “I’d like to be part of making sure good decisions are made for the future of the students.”

Quagliano is a member of the district’s financial advisory committee. Recently he helped rewrite the state’s property tax cap law to help District 158 and successfully pushed for another nearly $1.3 million in state aid for the district.

“I feel I’m in the best position to mend the fences that exist on the current board,” Quagliano said, speaking of a rift between board member Larry Snow and some of the other members.

“I hope I can get the two sides to listen to each other,” he said. “I just think for the short term of the district I can do some good.”

No comments: